10.27.2013

My review: Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov


So last week, I visited my campus's library and got three books to read. I have just finished one and it was Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. I wanted to write the review right away after I finished the book but I've been really busy with some activities. They even took my weekend away :( but I think all those things are going to be worth it!! Okay so now I'm going to write down my thoughts on Lolita.
The first time I found the book and read the short summary, I thought oh so this is about a love story of some pedophile. I admit it I had a doubt whether or not I wanted to read the novel because just the thought of some middle aged guy fall in love with a 12 years old girl made me shudder but then I thought lets just give it a try because I knew this book was very popular and a bit controversial. Also curiosity got the best of me so I took the book.

It begins with Humbert describing his fancy childhood in Riviera where his dad owns a luxury hotel. Humbert has many experiences including when his mother is struck by lightning and also when for the first time he experiences a deep love and lust connection with a girl-child named Annabel Leigh. He experiences his first sexual encounter with Annabel and I think this is what makes him has this life long obsession with little girl.
Humbert receives an education in France and England then marries Valeria, who later on, leaving him for a cab driver. Humbert then moves to the US and spend his time writing and dipping in and out mental institutes until  he decides to settle down and moves in with the widow Charlotte Haze and her 12 years old daughter, Doloraze Haze or who he calls Lolita. And this is where the story gets interesting. Humbert, as the day goes by, can't deny his obsession towards Lolita but what I get from his point of view is that Lolita is not as innocent as other 12 years old girl because she is actually seduces him. You see this is where it kind confuses me because we don't know for sure if we can trust humbert's words. After all he has mental illness. But still to me its repulsive and wrong for Humbert to declares that He is the one being seduced and Lolita is also responsible for making their affair happens because Humbert should know better that having sex with a child is just so wrong and considered as a child abuse no matter if he is the one being seduced.
After Charlotte dies, Humbert takes Lolita with him and spend a year driving all over the U.S. Humbert with his crazy-sick-twisted mind success in intimidates and bribes Lolita into having a daily sexual relations with him. If you believe his words about how Lolita is not innocent, you would think that Lolita has it coming but as for me I still think that Lolita is an innocent 12 years old girl who doesn't have anybody but a stepfather who convinces her that incest relationship is okay because he "cares" and 'loves" her. Lolita is helpless, she can't do anything but to do what he wants because she has no one and she is afraid and the disgusting part is Humbert takes advantage of it. I'm glad that in the end Lolita manages to escape from Humbert. It tells us that Lolita finally realize that what Humbert do to her is wrong and disgusting. She is an unbelievably strong girl. People sometimes forget abut this fact.
I don't find one romantic thing from this novel like some people. What I find is there is this sociopath pedophile who lust after a 12 years old girl and use her body for his own satisfaction. It's a child abuse. And the way Humbert blatantly tells us that he is indeed a pedophile is disgusts me especially all of his thoughts about all those little girl and their innocence that can make him get off.

But to anyone who loves to read, I recommend this book, because this is seriously a gorgeously written novel. Humbert character and his sick twisted mind will leave you rendered speechless. He will fool you and makes you believe everything he says. But I suggest you to see everything not only from his point of view but also imagine if you were Lolita or just be the people who see this relationship from the outside.
So that is what I have to say after reading this novel. And one more thing that I want to say is that Vladimir Nabokov is one genius writter. Salute.

Tata, xx

No comments:

Post a Comment